Monday, May 27, 2019

Separating Memories from Purchases

I really struggle sometimes with associating bad memories with products. It's a blessing and a curse because it helps me not to make irrational purchases when I'm in a bad mood. Once I realized this association my shopping habit changed for the better. But it also means that when I really do want something it might take me longer than I expect to buy something.

Enter this insignificant watermelon brush cleaning set. I saw it online a month or so ago when I was browsing Sephora's new products. As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to buy it. I had been wanting a brush cleansing pad for years but had always convinced myself that I didn't need it. Something about the watermelon shape and colors just spoke to me though, and I told myself that I would wait to buy it at the spring Sephora sale. During the sale I went into the store to look at it in person. I didn't purchase it that day though; I thought I was going to go home and buy it online to get a better Ebates credit. But then life happened, and I missed the end of the sale. Oh well. I didn't save that $1.50. I'll just buy it the next time I go to the mall.

Today was the first time I was able to go out to the mall since the sale week. I have had a horrible weekend, but I was determined to get that watermelon scrub pad. I had wanted it for so long, and I constantly thought about it when I put on my makeup. I want to be able to purchase makeup and stuff in general without feeling like I'm buying it because I'm having a bad day. Yes, I was having a bad day today, but I wasn't buying the watermelon set for that reason.

And I need to remind myself of that. When I'm having a bad day and eat something, I don't forever associate that food with the feelings. I don't pass by Chick-fil-A or Burger King and get reminded of the bad day I had three months ago. So why is it different when I buy makeup?

Here is to this ridiculous watermelon set, this little plastic trifle that is going to be my first step in separating my feelings from my purchases. Sure, I had a bad weekend. But I am going to love cleaning my brushes with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment