Monday, June 17, 2019

An Appreciation for Subculture

In the last couple of weeks I've been drawn to a new eyeshadow palette. Not new due to release date, but new as in not the Petite Heat that has been my siren call for most of the year so far. It feels strange too because I consider Subculture much more of a fall palette, but I've really enjoyed playing with some of the colors during this current heat.

It's quite amusing how I was ready to almost give up on bold colorful eyeshadow when this palette was released two years ago. I had bought a custom Mac palette in early 2017 and been thoroughly disappointed with three of the colorful shades I had chosen. Indian Ink, Naval, and Bottle Green looked like beautiful rich shades online, but because they were pro store exclusives I bought them sight unseen. While they may be decent build-up shadows, they were not the type of product I was interested in. When Subculture came out a few months later, I was amazed at how it contained so many of the bold colors I had wanted to put into my custom palette. It had the purple, green, and blue I was hoping those Mac shades would be, plus more.

What I find interesting though is that the colors I was most interested in are the colors I use least in the palette. I remember being so excited for Axis. It is such a beautiful color after all. But just because I like a color doesn't mean I'll like it as an eyeshadow. I barely wear my Urban Decay eyeliner in Mainline because I find it overwhelming, so why do I think I'm going to wear more of that color on a larger surface area of my eye? I'm not. I'm just not.

There are three shades that made me want to use this palette again: New Wave, Edge, and Roxy. I have been pining for some Sydney Grace shadows for the past few weeks, and I've been looking through their catalog try to find shades similar to these three. Right now French Hens and Geese a Laying are inspiring me to create a custom cohesive palette.

I never would have thought that Roxy would become one of my favorite shades in the palette. When I bought the palette I thought it looked so boring. But on a whim one day two years ago I put Roxy in my crease, and my appreciation for the shade instantly skyrocketed. When I first got the palette I challenged myself to use only it for my eyeshadow for 30 straight days, and I'm so glad I did. Doing so really pushed me out of my comfort zone with color, and I learned to pair different colors together I may not have easily considered.

As a whole, I really do appreciate Subculture. I know when it was released it didn't get the best reviews, but I have thoroughly enjoyed using it and really learning about my color preferences from it. I doubt I'll have it for another year, as my favorite shades are quickly being panned, but I am quite glad that Subculture was able to help me find those favorite shades in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment