Monday, June 10, 2019

More Meaningful Choices

I have been thinking this past week about how my makeup preferences have changed so much in the last few years. I remember when I first became interested in makeup I wanted to own as many things as I could and have massive collections like the YouTubers I watched. Over time, however, I've realized that I actually don't like having many options. I would rather have a handful of blushes than a drawerful, and even then, I would probably end up wearing the same one or two blushes repeatedly for months.

I feel like a lot of social media is trying to convince us that more is better. The constant influx of releases and barrage of opinions about them make these inflated collections feel normalized in a way. If anything at all catches your eye, you're almost expected to buy it. But I can appreciate the beauty of something without owning it. A lot of emphasis now is placed on brands and products rather than aesthetic and technique, and as a result I repeatedly hear YouTubers harp on about "trying new things."

But that's the thing for me. I don't care really about trying new things, at least not to the extent that they do. I would much rather have a predictable and constant routine than be bombarded with a multitude of choices every day. I would rather spend a month or two figuring out which gold eyeshadow I want and would be most likely to use than have six different ones I can choose from on a daily basis. I have recently come to realize that the fewer choices I have the more meaningful those choices become. 

No comments:

Post a Comment