Monday, August 26, 2019

Makeup Packing for a Quick Weekend Trip

This weekend we went on a roadtrip to visit my husband's family six hours away (though it was more like seven with all the stops). We left Saturday morning and returned Sunday night, so it really was a quick trip. As I haven't been wearing makeup that much lately, I probably wouldn't have packed a makeup bag normally. However, we were having family pictures taken since everyone was finally going to be in town at the same time for once.

I'm generally a minimalist when it comes to packing makeup, even before I stopped wearing it consistently. For example, I remember when my husband and I went to Miami a few years ago for half a week I only brought a face primer, a small face trio that doubled as eyeshadow, two eye liners, and two lipsticks. Now my "necessities" have shifted away from the eyes and more onto the face though. I know it may not seem that way considering I didn't pack an eyeshadow palette before, but that combination of the face palette and the eye liners gave me just enough possible creativity to not feel stifled during that trip.

Now though I'm more likely to even out my complexion than to play around with eyeshadow if I'm just throwing on some makeup before I head out. My current complexion routine consists of applying a combination of the Urban Decay Optical Illusion Primer and the Becca Backlight Priming Filter with the Urban Decay Optical Illusion Brush and setting it with the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Mood Light using a mini Elf brush I got in some set a few years ago. Those five items right there already took up the majority of my makeup bag, so there wasn't much real estate left.

I would have loved bringing my new Sydney Grace shadows or some Mac shadows. I thought that a simple mauve eye would look good for the pictures. But my only options for transporting my single shadows currently is my large Z-Palette or my 12-pan Mac palette. Neither would fit into my makeup bag, and I didn't want to pack something that large separately if I was barely going to use it. (A weeklong trip would be different, but not for a quick weekend one. I should probably purchase an empty 4-pan palette next time I'm at a Mac store.) In fact, the only palette that could fit in my makeup bag at that point was Petite Heat, and considering my love for that palette I was fine with that.

Add in the Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita and three eyeshadow brushes, and that was all I packed for this short trip. So my total comes to five products and five brushes. Our next trip is in November and will be a week long. I'm curious to see what changes and what stays the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment