Monday, April 29, 2019

The Constant Influx of Releases

"Will I buy it?" videos seem to have been increasing in popularity on YouTube over the last year. When Samantha March first introduced the community playlist for WIBI videos I was shocked at how many creators were adding their videos to it. I go back and forth on watching WIBI videos. Sometimes I like hearing the commentary certain creators add to it, but really it just feels so repetitive, especially when some creators are churning them out weekly. I would rather hear someone talk about only the things that have piqued their interest lately instead of them just scrolling through Trendmood or talking about what everyone else is too.

I know many viewers use WIBI videos to learn about new products being released, and I remember doing that with Jen Luvs Reviews' weekly "What's Up in Makeup?" series when it first started. But after a while I became overwhelmed with how many things were constantly being released. (That series was actually what sparked the beginning of the end of my makeup obsession.) If the creator consciously focuses on highlighting various indie brands like Angelica Nyqvist does in her WIBI videos, or even just on a few select brands they typically like, I would feel more inclined to support the influx of WIBI videos. But instead, it seems like so many people are just hashing on the same tired releases.

It makes me wonder how the beauty community was before the snowball of releases became the norm. What was it like to only have a few releases a year? (Did that ever actually happen?) Was the focus more on developing technique than amassing a collection? I'm sure my collection would be even smaller than it is now, as I would have more time to learn about new products before being bombarded with the appeal of a newer one. I wonder too if I would be more likely to stay brand loyal if it were like that now. I just learned the other day that Lorac has Unzipped quints that were released in January. They appear to be totally my style (and something I probably would have purchased if I didn't already have enough eyeshadow). I used to love Lorac as a brand and probably still would if I hadn't branched out to other brands in the last few years. I wonder how people in the days before the current beauty YouTube would have learned about those quints being released.

Also, back when there weren't so many releases, how often did people typically actually buy new products? When the seasons changed? When they finished something up? Were people more likely to buy from a new release because it had been so long since they purchased something new? Were they safer with their choices? (I certainly feel like since I started purchasing things less frequently I am much more cautious and deliberate with what I choose.) I am fascinated with this concept and almost wish I had gotten interested in makeup earlier in life, just so I could have experienced it.

No comments:

Post a Comment