Monday, April 22, 2019

Why I Appreciate Sephora's Rewards Program

With all the talk across social media about the upcoming Sephora sale, I am inadvertently being reminded how much more I prefer Sephora over Ulta when it comes to their rewards programs. I feel like Sephora constantly gets berated for not having a money-based points program like Ulta does, but there are so many aspects about Ulta's program that steers me towards favoring Sephora's instead.

I know Sephora gets ragged on for the point perks, but I love them. Sure, it might take 100 points (usually $100 but not always), but I get to choose when I'm buying products and which brands I'm buying from. Plus, I like that as long as I have one transaction a year (even if it's just redeeming my birthday gift) my points don't expire. So even if it takes three years to reach 100 points, that's okay. And if it takes another two years for a point perk to interest me enough to redeem my points, that's still okay (assuming the rewards program doesn't change again). I also like that I can get a deluxe sample of my choice by only spending $25 online. I find myself waiting to purchase something until one catches my eye, and since I'm very particular, I don't order very often. 

At other stores, you'll see things like "spend $50 on Urban Decay, get a free eyeshadow primer." Okay? I only want to buy two eye pencils, and that doesn't add up to $50. Now I have to add something else? Besides, the eyeshadow primer I use is from Lorac, and I definitely don't need a new one any time soon. A tube will easily last me at least a year and a half. It can be cool to get something for free, but not when it's something I don't care about. 

If the buy-in isn't brand specific, it's usually at a ridiculously high price like $75 or $125. And when it's that big, it's usually a large bag of samples where only one or two even remotely appeal to me. No thank you. I am trying to downsize, not add unnecessary clutter.

Sure, it might be nice to get money off my purchase like at Ulta, but I think Ulta's system encourages spending. There $100 basically equates to $3 off. I know that it's not exactly that simple. 100 points = $3 off, but 1000 points = $50 off. But here's the thing, except for my first year buying makeup, I cannot reach even 100 points before they expire. I just don't buy enough makeup. And I know there are often point multipliers, but my account rarely qualifies for them. (Plus, they're brand specific, and you already know how I feel about that.) I'm convinced that in order to receive these offers you have to continually buy from those brands, like they're trying to reward brand loyalty. If I'm going to make a purchase I would rather it be straight money off than the possibility of eventual money off, especially when I know that possibility is highly unlikely to ever happen.

When you only buy a handful of things a year, Ulta just doesn't have the most welcoming rewards program. At least with Sephora I don't feel shafted for not spending lots of money. Sure, I don't get the same percentages off as VIB or Rouge when sale time comes around, but I still get to participate in the rewards bazaar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment