Monday, October 28, 2019

Losing Interest

I keep trying to get back into makeup, but it feels like I've just moved on from the hobby. It seems so silly to be disappointed in losing interest in a hobby, especially one that took me so long to admit was my hobby.

Maybe it's just a rut. After all, I do still get excited to stumble across new (to me) products that interest me. I bought a new eyeshadow brush trio at Ulta a few days ago and have enjoyed using them lately. It was a mostly impulse purchase. I don't remember how I discovered them. Maybe an ad somewhere? I definitely wasn't seeking them out. But once I saw them I knew I wanted them. They were pretty, a decent price, made by a brand I already loved using eyeshadow brushes from, and brush shapes that I really enjoyed using. It was like the perfect culmination of things. (Oh, and I had a 20% off coupon.)

I don't remember the last time I was excited about a product like this. Yes, I've still been buying products throughout this year, but it feels like all those purchases have been thoroughly and exhaustingly thought out. "Do I really need this?" "How does it fit into my collection?" "Am I really going to wear this as much I think I am?" "Can't you wait for this to go on sale? You just have to wait two more months, and then it will probably be $4 cheaper." I mean, seriously? Why am I beating myself up over $4 when I no longer have the unhealthy shopping habits I had a few years ago.

Maybe I've just become wiser to the marketing tactics makeup companies have been perfecting in this age of social media. Instead of scrambling to check Temptalia every morning for new releases, I log in once every week or so just to check out the discussion posts. With Youtube, I don't care about reviews or whether or not some person I've never actually met is going to buy something. That doesn't affect me and my tastes, or at least it shouldn't.

I'm tired of feeling like I don't have a place in the beauty community if I don't know about new or trendy products. Looking back now I think that having that current knowledge was what made me feel more connected to the online beauty community. I was also excited to use products back then because so much was still so new to me. I was still exploring my makeup preferences and hadn't yet settled into my makeup style.

So maybe it's not so much being in a rut as it is just being comfortable with where I'm at in this journey.

1 comment:

  1. I have a similar feeling. I haven't been updating my instagram or blog lately. Please check my blog if you have some free time.
    www.perksofbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete