Monday, December 9, 2019

Going on a No-Buy After Black Friday Shopping

It seems like the popular thing this week has been to start a year-long no-buy because of what was spent during the Black Friday weekend. Many of the comments I've seen about starting a no-buy have stemmed from regret about spending so much money. And while I can see where these people are coming from with feeling overwhelmed about their spending habits, I feel like for the majority of them they're only going to be frustrated for failing their no-buy in a few months (or weeks).

I've been on a no-buy before. I totally get that participating in one can help you reset your spending habits. But I feel like people who start their no-buys directly as a result of Black Friday shopping are looking for a miracle pill that doesn't exist. If you're considering going on a no-buy (or have already declared yourself on one) as the result of your Black Friday shopping, there's a good chance you just bought a bunch of new stuff. You might like some, you might not. But you still have new things to play with in addition to what you already own. What is going to happen in a few months when you're bored of what you have or when a new product is released that matches your ideal? A year is a long time.

If you don't know why or how you want to change your spending habits declaring a year-long spending fast is likely not going to magically solve the problem. Instead of abstaining from purchases I would recommend monitoring them, at least at first. I realize that not everyone is the same, but this is truly what worked the best for me. I did go on a no-buy initially; I challenged myself to go a whole month without buying anything. I knew that I was spending too much money on makeup and too much time looking for something to buy. (What a time suck that used to be.) 

In my mind deciding to go on a no-buy shouldn't stem from a moment of frustration after one big shopping excursion. Instead, reflect on why you bought so much stuff. What drew you in to purchase it? If you're aware of what caused it this time, maybe that can help you avoid it next time. What do you know about yourself as a spender? What are your triggers when it comes to making a purchase? Are you swayed by corporate marketing? by YouTubers you consider friends? by having a bad day and needing a cheer-me-up purchase? (Mine were wanting to participate in a sale and feeling like I needed to have something in each category that someone else told me existed. Blush topper? But of course I need one of those.) 

Challenge yourself to use something X amount of times before you move on to the next product. At one point I had a rule that whenever I bought something new I could only use that product in that category for 30 days, so if I brought a new lipstick in, was I both willing to use only that one lipstick for an entire month and not use any of my other lipsticks including my most cherished favorite? That rule sure curbed a lot of mindless spending for me.

If you want to go on a no-buy, fine. I can't stop you. But I do suggest that you reconsider your reasoning for going on one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment