Monday, July 15, 2019

Favorite Shade vs Most Used Shade

I thought it would be interesting today to compare shadows within palettes, particularly figuring out if my favorite pan is also the one with the most usage. I have three pre-made palettes, so I'll be focusing on those.

Lorac Nude Skinny

Nude Skinny is easily my oldest palette, and I think its usage reflects on my journey with color and eyshadow in general. In the early days I used to use my pans up as evenly as possible. This meant that if something had pan showing it had gone through significant use. The only pan in this palette that reached this status is the first one from the left. It makes sense though, as this is the only cream color in the palette and the only one I would have used with every single look.

Ignoring that one, my most used shade is just one over. A few years ago I absolutely loved subtle gold eyeshadow. I had not yet ventured into the world of color and was still gaining confidence in applying makeup in general, so the less obvious something was the better I usually felt. Nowadays though my favorite would be the copper shade, the fifth one in the palette.

ABH Subculture

For subculture, we also need to distinguish the "used for blending" outliers. Cube is basically gone, and Dawn is halfway there. Both of these shades were used to blend out shadows, so I'm not really counting them. I do really like Cube since its color-shifting quality is not something I would generally think to use. I'm also somewhat interested in seeing what it would look like as a face highlight; I've been eyeing Nyx Snow Rose lately, which I think is similar, and find it so interesting that Temptalia gave Cube an F but Snow Rose an A-.

So, if I'm disregarding these blending shadows my most used shades in Subculture are actually my three most favorites: Roxy, Edge, and New Wave, with the latter barely beating out the other two for the title of most used. Roxy definitely surprised me the most because I was not at all interested in even that type of color when I bought Subculture. Once I realized how beautiful it looked in the crease, I've been enjoying experimenting pairing it with different colors.

New Wave and Edge though were basically my favorites from the get-go. Initially I thought I would love the blues (Axis and Untamed), but I keep going back to the yellows instead. Both Edge and New Wave work wonderfully in the crease or on the lid, and it is so much fun combining them with oranges and others in that family.

Urban Decay Petite Heat

Speaking of oranges, let's move on to Petite Heat. Like with the other two my most used shade is technically the leftmost, Inhale. It's the lightest shade and the one I use to blend out edges, so it's understandable that it would have the biggest dip. Besides that one though, Heist is definitely the most used. At first I thought that Heist, Wild Thing, and Hot Spell would show similar usage, but after closer inspection it's quite obvious that Heist has been used much more. Between Heist and Wild Thing I'm not sure which I love more. They are basically my favorite types of colors to use around my eyes, and I absolutely love having an entire palette based around that.


No comments:

Post a Comment