Monday, July 1, 2019

Sydney Grace Is On My Mind

The first time I ever heard about Sydney Grace was a few years ago when Georgia Harris mentioned their single eye shadows in a YouTube video. Back then they weren't even called Sydney Grace, and I had little to no interest in the company. At the time I was convinced that I could get any single shadows I wanted through Mac - even though I had never even seen a Mac product anywhere besides a computer screen.

Well, fast forward three or so years and I've of course realized that Mac doesn't actually fulfill all my eye shadow wants like I had been convinced. But this doesn't mean that I immediately jumped straight to browsing Sydney Grace's inventory. My first step in accepting the Mac "lack" was eagerly awaiting every release (of which there were many) to see if I liked any of the limited edition single eye shadows. Months dragged on, and eventually it felt like I was lucky to even see a release with a single eye shadow period.

So what changed? I started noticing Sydney Grace being featured on Temptalia. Now, I used to check Temptalia multiple times a day when I was in the early stages of my makeup journey. When a brand was on that site, it felt like it must have a good reputation if Christine reviewed it. I started finding myself checking Temptalia's swatch inventory for Sydney Grace products instead of just scrolling down for hopes of a new Mac launch. When I started searching for dupes of my favorite shades in Subculture many Sydney Grace shadows started showing up there as well. All during this time various YouTubers I was watching continued mentioning Sydney Grace shadows in their videos.

I bet you'll never guess which brand's single eye shadows are at the top of my wish list. It's strange too because one of my biggest "rules" with purchasing makeup is that I want to be able to touch and test a product before I buy it. There is no way I'd be able to do that if I bought from Sydney Grace. But nevertheless I'm still drawn to their shadows. The one that started the increased interest in the company was Geese a Laying, followed closely by French Hens. By now, my wish list is easily approaching a dozen shadows, even though I am easily content with the eye shadows I already own.

Right now Sydney Grace is just the new interesting brand for me, and it's taking some determined self-control to not just buy the things that interest me in this moment. A few years ago I would have likely already filled a 12-pan palette with Sydney Grace shadows. But now that I'm much more conscious of my spending habits when it comes to makeup I recognize that I need to take a step back before placing an order. Now, do I anticipate buying some Sydney Grace shadows before the end of the year? Absolutely. After all, some sort of promotion is happening near the end of this month. And even though I have no clue what the promotion is for, something tells me I need to be following their social media presence in the next few weeks.

Why though? I never follow brands on social media. I get my makeup news from Temptalia, and lately I've enjoyed reading about any releases on my own terms, rather than being bombarded by them on YouTube. What is it about Sydney Grace that encourages me to make an exception on the social media follow? the swatch before purchase guideline? I'm slowly trying to figure it out for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment