Monday, July 29, 2019

National Lipstick Day: A Reflection

Today was National Lipstick Day. When I first started seeing articles and social media posts about it this weekend I did not care one bit. There are no lipsticks I seriously want right now, and I feel comfortable with the variety of lipsticks I do own. But after the tenth time of being reminded of this bogus holiday I felt a sudden urge to search out a new lipstick or two.

When I learned (thanks to a Facebook ad) that Target was having 25% off lipsticks, my memory cycled back to a YouTube video where Hannah from Smokey Glow mentioned liking a certain Milani lipstick. I remember looking up that lipstick after watching the video and really liking one of the colors. I don't remember though if the one I liked was the same one she did or a different one. Either way, it didn't stick in my mind well enough to be that memorable, and I wasn't about to go back through the last month or two of her videos to rediscover which one it was.

I don't even remember how I find out that Ulta had certain lipsticks buy one get one free, but somehow I found myself scrolling through the options, searching for two lipsticks that I maybe possibly wanted. Honestly, if I didn't have a toddler I probably would have just driven to Ulta today and swatched around until I found two I liked. In the five minutes I had spent scrolling on Ulta's site I had already convinced myself that I needed to repurchase a Lorac Pro Matte Lip Color in Mauve, even though I had replaced its role in my collection with Stila Papillon.

Once I saw these two stores had decent sales I wanted to explore what other options were out there for purchasing lipstick today. But here's the thing: until today I had little to no desire to purchase a lipstick any time soon. Why was I seeking out these deals when I didn't care about the products? It's the complete opposite of the Sydney Grace sale, where I found what I wanted, waited patiently for a sale, and then whittled down my wishlist even further before purchasing something. (Side note: I'm so glad that I waited until the mystery final day to get 25% off; it's exactly the kind of sale I was hoping for.)

And you know what frustrates me the most about this day? I didn't even wear lipstick today and have probably only worn it six or so times in the last month or two. Lipstick has not been my mind at all lately - until the internet told me it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment