Monday, September 30, 2019

Saying Goodbye

In the past week the number of blogs that I follow has significantly decreased. Three blogs said goodbye to their readers: Auxiliary Beauty, Bad Outfit Great Lipstick, and Faceonomics. With the shift to YouTube, it can be difficult to find makeup blogs nowadays, especially ones that don't focus on reviews. I found all three of these blogs thanks to the blog authors posting on Reddit. And while they did review posts here and there, the blogs weren't solely about cataloging and swatching the new releases, and that felt like a breath of fresh air.

When I started my own blog earlier this year, I had three rules for myself that I've managed to stick to thus far. (1) I would be posting once every week on Monday. This was to get myself in the habit of writing. For the past few years I've been telling myself I wanted to get back into creative writing, and knowing I had a weekly deadline has helped me immensely. I still haven't started writing that novel, but I do feel like I'm finding my voice again.

(2) My blog would never have any pictures. That one seems silly; a makeup blog with no pictures of makeup?! Were there times when I wanted to include a picture in a post? Sure. I think it would be cool to show you my custom palette or help you visualize how my eyeliner collection changed in September. But I know that I would focus too much on getting the right Instagrammy picture and not enough on the prose that was the whole reason I started my blog. Besides, I'm a big proponent of swatching for yourself before buying a product, and there are a plethora of blogs out there on the internet who supply swatches for those who can't or don't wish to swatch things themselves.

(3) I wouldn't be posting reviews. Makeup is so subjective, and even after being interested in it for nearly five years, I still don't feel confident giving my opinion on a product. I can't often verbalize the reasons I like a product; I just know that it makes me happy. I'll talk about why I want to buy a product because of how it fits into what I already own. But I won't tell you how it drying it is or how its opacity compares to another product. I feel like there are plenty of people who already give out that information, and that's not what I want to be known for.

Will you see another post from me next Monday? Yes I'm not going anywhere yet. My goal is still to make it at least a whole year before calling it quits. Truthfully, I'm not as interested in makeup as I was when I started this blog. But I do enjoy writing about my journey weekly. So see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment