Monday, September 9, 2019

The No Buy/Low Buy Makeup Tag

A few days ago I saw a new makeup-related tag on Angelia Nyqvist's YouTube channel. Even though I'm not technically on a low buy/ no buy (since I don't have specific start and stop dates), I thought it may be interesting to answer these questions.

1. How long have you been on your low buy/ no buy?
It's been roughly three years since I started becoming more conscious of my spending habits. I remember going on different variations of a low buy/ no buy in 2016. I started the year convinced I didn't spend that much but decided to document every purchase I made. And yes, I didn't spend that much, especially compared to the YouTubers I watched, but I quickly realized how often I was buying makeup at the drugstore. I didn't buy anything other than makeup at CVS or Walgreens, so every time I went it was specifically to buy makeup that was on sale, which, spoiler alert, was basically every week. That was before I learned how sales cycles worked and before I recognized that Buy One Get One Half Off is a horrible "deal."

2. What motivated you to try a low buy/ no buy?
The Makeup Rehab subreddit was definitely the biggest factor for me. I joined it around the time it originated, and back then it felt like a small community who were around the same stage in their makeup journey. Barely anyone had already done a yearlong no buy. Instead, we were all learning together.

3. Are there any YouTubers who motivated/ inspired you on your low buy/no buy journey?
When I was in the midst of changing my habits Jacquelyn Lovene was definitely one of my biggest motivators. She was one of the first YouTubers I watched who purposefully decluttered to a smaller collection. Other panners I watched would talk about how they felt overwhelmed by the amount of makeup they owned, but then they would continually buy new makeup while barely making a dent in the items they already possessed. Jacquelyn helped me feel okay about not having multiples in different categories, that it was fine to have a few favorites and call it a day.

4. What is a positive aspect that you’ve experienced in your low buy/ no buy?
I've definitely become more comfortable with the products I own. I don't feel the need anymore to constantly seek out new or "better" products. I mean, do I think their might be a better eyeliner out there than my trusty Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil? Sure, I'm not discounting that notion. But I also know that I don't want to spend that energy researching new products when I'm content with what I'm already using.

5. What is a negative aspect that you’ve experienced in your low buy/ no buy?
I still enjoy makeup, but it doesn't have as big of a wow factor for me as it once did. Maybe it's just because I'm no longer a newbie where every release is exciting. Also, I know I'm not going to be buying certain categories anytime soon, so I stopped seeking out information on those things. Sometimes it's disappointing not being able to discuss opinions on products or being able to compare products I do own to releases that others may be able to relate to.

6. Do you think a low buy/no buy is beneficial for everyone? Why or why not?
Yes, but I think they need to be in the right mindset for it to actually be beneficial. I've seen some people who say they're on a month-long no buy until the next Sephora sale but then end up spending hundreds of dollars at the sale. I think when people use no buys to prolong a purchase it's not as meaningful as others who say "I like this, but I don't need it. Let me use something I already own instead."

7. What is some advice that you have to people starting a low buy/ no buy?
If you're just starting I think it can be really beneficial not to completely avoid the makeup aisle. I know that feels counter-intuitive, but I really feel like it's important to recognize that you have control over your spending habits. You can like something and appreciate something without owning it. It's okay to go into Sephora and swatch items that catch your interest. If you have to leave your wallet elsewhere while you do so, just to ensure you don't come home with new items, so be it. But you have to realize that you're the one who can change the cycle.

8. What have you learned from this experience?
I've learned that it's okay to have a small collection, that I don't need to keep up with the size I see all around social media. I get more enjoyment from specifically choosing the products that work for me than I do from owning things others told me I should like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment